It is currently Mon Jul 16, 2018 5:57 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1 [ 24 posts ] 
 Post subject: Moderator News Discussion
PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 11:06 pm 
Marvellous Mod

So up there ^^ you'll see a Moderator News thread where moderators and admins can well.. post news :P

In this thread members can discuss and ask questions about things in the moderator news thread.
I'm a little anxious about how this thread will turn out as sometimes these threads can just descend into arguments. Try to remember that moderators are human too and if a moderator feels they've explained something already and that no further discussion is going to be beneficial please respect that as there comes a point where by people are just arguing for arguing sakes. Please don't try and use this thread to "overturn" things that have already been done that's not to say you have to agree with us and feel free to say you disagree but there's a difference between disagreeing and pressuarising someone.. if we're thinking about doing something and haven't already done it we'll ask for the members opinions.

So please discuss away.. but one last note please only discuss things that are in the moderator news thread and try not to repeatedly go back to things that have already been discussed. If you have other problems with the site please PM a moderator or report the post rather than put in this thread. This isn't a "complaints about The Recovery Boat and the Moderators" thread.

So sorry for the really long intro I'm just trying to make sure we're all on the same page and that this can be productive rather than aggressive thread.

"It's very hard in the beginning to understand that the whole idea is not to beat the other runners. Eventually you learn that the competition is against the little voice inside of you that wants you to quit."

Post subject: Re: Moderator News Discussion
PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 9:53 am 
Awesome Admin

Hellllloooooooooo sailors! :pirate:

So, the mods have been talking about revising the banning and warning guidelines somewhat. We feel that there are a few offences which warrant an immediate ban. We're talking about serious and/or illegal stuff, like giving away another member's personal details without their consent, blackmail, serious direct abuse, contacting the friends and family of another member without their consent (unless of course if there is concern that the member's life is in danger).

We want to make this place as safe and private as we can, and sometimes I think that a warning just isn't enough, if the incident is something so serious as giving out personal details.

We'd like to hear the opinion of anyone here, so what do you think? What sort of behaviour do you think justifies an immediate ban? How long should the ban be for?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 6:56 pm 
Keeps The Boat Going

I think that if it doesn't happen on this site it shouldn't consider someone to be banned. that's my personal opinion.

[color=#8000FF]My Recovery Tumblr Blog
inkthatispink.tumblr.com ]

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 7:48 pm 
Made It Through The Storm

Are you talking about temporary or permanent bans? Because, I think that even in acute and heavy cases there still should be an opportunity to sort things out.

poeticprincess88 wrote:
I think that if it doesn't happen on this site it shouldn't consider someone to be banned. that's my personal opinion.

I'm inclined to agree because if something like that happened, because I think elsewise it would be denying people a second chance.
Giving away personal information (especially if it's compromising) seems like a sound reason.

"Serious direct abuse" is a good one, too. The problem that I see, is to define "serious" and to apply it consistently.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 9:16 pm 
Awesome Admin

not respecting someone's privacy (taking something said here and using it against them) should require a ban - for how long, I do not know.

Serious abuse - such as telling someone they deserved to be raped, or that they are a bad person on a continues basis is SERIOUS abuse in my book and also should require a ban - again not sure for how long

Stiring up trouble on the board on a continues basis needs a warning..

Relapsing and not listening to advice of members or more importantly, PROFESSIONALS, may need to be redirected, because this is not what the recovery boat is all about. We don't want to see people self destruct here, watching, waiting, being scared to log in because the person might be dead is really bothesome and worrisome. We want people to be working on their issues. And commenting back on our suggestions or the suggestions of professionals saying that you CAN'T isn't going to fly either. Let's face it, you CAN, because anyone CAN recover, but you have to WANT it and WORK on it. When I see someone saying they can't do something I read between the lines as they WON'T do something. I'm not saying that people that do this should be banned, but rather a rediretion should be made. And if nothing happens... if the person still refuses to try, then I am at a loss. - but am open to ideas on what to do.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 9:34 pm 

peacewithin wrote:
Serious abuse - such as telling someone they deserved to be raped, or that they are a bad person on a continues basis is SERIOUS abuse in my book and also should require a ban - again not sure for how long

Those are very clear examples you've given. Where are you going to draw the line? May I suggest that having doubts about whether something is considered serious should be an indicator that it warrants either a direct questioning or a warning, but not an immediate ban?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 9:42 pm 
Awesome Admin

teh_faust wrote:
peacewithin wrote:

Those are very clear examples you've given. Where are you going to draw the line? May I suggest that having doubts about whether something is considered serious should be an indicator that it warrants either a direct questioning or a warning, but not an immediate ban?

I am under the impression that we do talk about it. I know the mods do, and usually questions and opinons are taken. We usually vote on things as we've found it works out best to do that. We also try to get the full story from the person. There isn't going to be anyone banned without discussion. without getting the full story. Or to be banned by a single person. I'm not sure where I draw the line, but I'm sure it will come up as this ship grows.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 10:56 pm 
Awesome Admin

Yes, we will always ask for the other side of the story before banning. Fair is fair.

If it doesn't happen on this site, but is to do with a member on this site, then I still think that it's valid. So what if it didn't happen here? It still happened. People don't become new people just because they're on a different website, and safety and privacy are very important issues. If, for example (and this is hypothetical, not about anyone here), you knew someone who was giving away users personal information on another website and then they came here, would you be happy about having them here? Do we wait until they give out some of our personal details before they get reprimanded or do we be strict about it and not take that chance?

What counts as serious abuse does need to be discussed, that's one of the reasons I opened it up. Of course, as Christen already said, do bear in mind that everything gets discussed by the mods, so there is no chance of one person getting offended by something that wasn't intended to be offensive, and then going round banning and stuff.

I think things that count as serious abuse include things like:

-Commenting in an offensive and insensitive way on someone's appearance. By this, I mean saying non-constructive and hurtful things like "You're well ugly" or "You're so fat", and not "you don't look very well, I'm concerned about your well being".

-Dismissing, down playing or insulting someone's shared experience of abuse. For example, like Christen said, saying "You deserve to be raped" is not tolerated. Also things like "You weren't really abused, that doesn't count" and "You need to just toughen up and get on with it".

Of course, I am pretty sure that the likelihood of things like this being said are very small. We here are not the sort of people to go around saying things like this, but to be on the safe side, I think it's important to note that if anyone dodgy signs up, we don't stand for this crap, we look after our members.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 2:37 am 

I think that there are certain things (like those that have been listed in this thread) that are serious enough to justify an immediate ban. These serious abuses are so unlikely to occur, but I certainly believe it is important to have a plan in place for these things.

I think the most important thing is that there is a very clear definition of what exactly would constitute serious and what exactly the penalty would be.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 9:32 am 
Awesome Admin

Suzie wrote:
I think that there are certain things (like those that have been listed in this thread) that are serious enough to justify an immediate ban. These serious abuses are so unlikely to occur, but I certainly believe it is important to have a plan in place for these things.

I think the most important thing is that there is a very clear definition of what exactly would constitute serious and what exactly the penalty would be.
Exactly :)

There will always be grey areas with regards to this, but hopefully we can cross that bridge when we come to it, and for now it would be good to have some definite guidelines. I will think it over some more.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 11:06 pm 
Marvellous Mod

Basically it's been a while since I signed up (so can't remember :lol:) and it'd be handy to know the answer to this.. can anyone remember if they received a welcome PM or e-mail when they first signed up?

"It's very hard in the beginning to understand that the whole idea is not to beat the other runners. Eventually you learn that the competition is against the little voice inside of you that wants you to quit."

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 11:32 pm 
I got an e-mail saying I had joined or to activate my account or something like that.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 6:51 am 
Captain Of This Ship

poeticprincess88 wrote:

I disagree. In the past (on WBB), my privacy was invaded by two different members and it left me in a really bad state. Once, my parents were contacted and that was completely uncalled for. I was an adult (in my twenties) living at home during college but I was about to get married and move out. I wasn't in any immediate danger and there was no need to contact them. They violated my privacy and therefore my ability to feel safe on the board.
The second instance was even worse. the person sought out a person from my past who manipulated, terrorized, and stalked me and did many other things to make my life miserable. That member brought that person back into my life for a while, and again gave out personal information about me (and my emails, messengers, and name on the board) which really fucked with me.

I think if you contact someone's friends/family/etc without consent, and there is proof of that, then you should be banned (temporary or permanent.. i'm not sure). It is a violation of privacy and that just ISN'T okay.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 9:56 am 
Awesome Admin

^^ That reminded me. I did write an upgrade for the banning system but haven't posted it yet. I'll do that now.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 9:58 am 
Awesome Admin

This is to go at the bottom of the current system explanation. Everyone ok with it?

Quote:
There are certain offences which will result in a ban without the previous warnings. These are serious offences such as:

- Giving out another user's personal information without their consent unless there is a real fear that the user's life is in danger.
- Contacting another user's friends or family without their consent unless there is a real fear that the user's life is in danger.
- Blackmail. In any form.
- Serious threatening or abusive comments towards another user. An example of serious threats or abuse include threats to physically or psychologically harm a user; non-constructive, unjustified and offensive comments about a user's appearance, lifestyle or behaviour (eg. "You're so fat/ugly" "You're a loser" and NOT "you are looking unwell and I'm worried about you"); non-constructive, unjustified and offensive comments about another user's experiences, particularly regarding experiences of abuse (eg. "You weren't really abused", "You deserved it").

All offences are discussed between the moderators and administration before any conclusions are reached. Whether to send a warning or to ban a user is voted on by the moderators and administrators, and the length of the ban is also decided by committee, and will reflect the seriousness of the offence.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 6:33 am 
Marvellous Mod

Alex, that sound fair to me.
It definitely has safety at the forefront, and the line at the bottom about a vote adds to that fairness so no one mod will abuse power either. [not that I think the mods would. But it's better to have the regulations in place.]

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 11:17 am 
Awesome Admin

Thanks, you just reminded me to add that to the banning guidelines!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 11:00 pm 
Awesome Admin

PLEASE WELCOME ALICE, OUR NEWEST MARVELLOUS MOD!

:pirate: :pirate: :pirate: :pirate: :pirate: :pirate: :pirate:

my photos

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 12:58 am 
Marvellous Mod

Woop Woop!

:rock:

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 2:35 am 
Legendary Sailor

:boat: Yes!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 12:09 pm 
Marvellous Mod

Cheers guys :)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 7:42 pm 
Awesome Admin

Alice wrote:
Cheers guys :)

:rock: awesome

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 9:04 am 
Awesome Admin

WELCOME MEAGHAN TO POST MODS!!! :grouphug:

my photos

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 11:00 pm 
Awesome Admin

I know there are allot of us struggeling lately, and not just with ED's. Mods and members alike are in and out of the recovery boat due to school, work, time, ect. I just want to make sure that no one feels alone, or badly because there are fewer topics and active journals (including replies). If people need time to focus on themselves or life, we encourage that! But NO ONE here is alone. I have to remember that myself too. And although we may be less active for whatever reason, I feel confident in saying that it IS temporary.

Page 1 of 1 [ 24 posts ]